The hardest part was finding yellow socks.
I used jiggly eyes and red sticky felt to make Back-pack's face.
Julie is going to be Boots, Dora's monkey side-kick.
And while the base of the costume is bought, there are lots of little bits that I have to make. In an amazing stroke of luck I found fleece that exactly matches the sweat shirt and pants that I bought for the body of the costume.
Tonight, after the girls were asleep I started on putting the contrasting belly on the sweatshirt and making the two toned tail. (Boots is a very cartoon sort of monkey.)
My sewing machine, a 26 year old Necchi, usually is very cooperative, but tonight it was in serious rebellion. The thread kept breaking and getting tangled underneath.
I was afraid that I was going to have to finish this by hand.
It appears that little hands have been messing with the tension dial. I finally managed to set things right, but when this is all done it's going in for a cleaning and tune-up.
Tomorrow, when I have Julie's head to work from, I have to make the head-piece. If it works, it's going to be awesome.
Wish me luck.